Sunday, August 22, 2010

I saw teenage kids collecting donations at a busy street intersection. Is that a good way to raise funds?

It depends.





You see, my theory is that a legitimate organization will have some better way of raising funds then sending young kids out to the street.





However, I lived in Philadelphia--a very dangerous city--and this would happen almost daily, kids would be standing out on the street with canisters.





I used to think it was a little suspicious but then I realized it would have been even worse for them to go around knocking on doors for donations especially if they were carrying around cash. At an intersection, they are visible to lots and lots of people, and they are generally in groups.





But, I think that your question might be speaking more to whether or not their approach is profitable.





I would imagine that if you were at a busy intersection, you might be able to make a couple hundred dollars from people emptying out their ashtrays. I know I personally have done it when I found I had too much change...





I think, though, if you are looking for a way to raise funds for your own cause, it is a good idea to go to a venue that is relevant to your cause.





For example, if you are raising funds for your youth sports team, you might call your local sports arena where the NFL, NBA, or MBA team plays and ask for permission to solicit donations outside of the gate. Or, if you are raising money for a school trip to Bolivia, stand outside an art museum or live theatre soliciting donations (with permission, of course).





If you solicit money from people who enjoy sports, they are more likely to value your engagment in sports and donate more than some random person on the street corner. If you solicit money from someone who supports the arts and culture for an activity that promotes arts or culture...they are probably going to empty their pockets for you.





Below I have included some sites that suggest fundraising activities....including car washes, bake sales, etc...





Good luck!I saw teenage kids collecting donations at a busy street intersection. Is that a good way to raise funds?
sure.


otherwise they'd move.





It is silly as it is raising funds...I saw teenage kids collecting donations at a busy street intersection. Is that a good way to raise funds?
I think it should be illegal because that's a good way to get injured or killed. But the firemen were doing it in my community just a couple of weeks ago. It must work.
It is...i saw fireman collecting like that with fireman boots
No Way!!!


I hate that it only teaches kids to beg and panhandle.
Can you say lawsuit waiting to happen? What happens when some knuckle head on a cell phone messing with the radio runs over a kid because he doesn't brake when he should?


Besides the biggest turn off is someone ';pan handling'; for money and really thats what they are doing.





It's better to offer some kind of service for a donation so they understand that they aren't entitled to anything in life.


ex.carwash, yard work, babysitting, rock-a-thon (in rocking chairs) carry grocery bags out at a local store
yes also bake sales car wash's
No- they can get hurt or killed. And I think they should DO SOMETHING to raise money- a carwash, bake sale, flea market...........they need to learn that nothing in life is free.
I pay an outrages amount of taxes so they can build schools with full size football stadiums but they want my kid to go beg like a homeless people for needed school supplies. That is insane and should be illegal.





Before anyone says we are in texas and don鈥檛 pay income tax I know this. But my property tax is 3x what people in California pay for the same size house. My house being literally 1/9th the value of the California version.





Beggars on the street, good cause or not, should not be promoted.





My elementary school age kids are sent out by the school to sell candy bars. They get nothing in return and they want them to go sell these to strangers at 10 years old. Why would I have an issue with that??





There are several reason why this is just wrong.


Open a car wash or do something to earn the money. Spend only 59 million on the school and save a million for pencils and other stuff.
Bad idea. They shouldn't beg, they should work. At least sell oranges or wash windshields.
Better than coming to knock on your door , isn't it? hehehe
yes! 231 pounds i got on my own doing it for 4 hours
Only if you are collecting for a legitimate charity, have signs, t-shirts or something to identify yourselves and have permission from the local authorities.
For a Mac Value Meal it is...
No, I don't believe this is a good idea for a fund-raiser, and especially not for children (even older children and teenagers). I have seen accidents at intersections where firefighters were collecting, and I have to think that the accident was at least partially due to the distraction of people being out in the streets.
Only if you have a license or permit to do it for a non profit or approved group otherwise its considered panhandling and its against the law in alot of places. Plus its not a good idea because someone could drive up and act like they want to donate grap the bucket or sack and take off driving.
and you're sure that the money is going to a charity? or are those kids keeping it?





I don't give money on the street level. it's the wrong thing to do.





LD
I don't like the idea of anyone begging for hand-outs regardless of who or what they are doing it for. What happened to earning those funds? The kids could do car washes, bake sales, magazine sales, anything would be better than shoving a bucket at you.
Yes it's like any other business except it's not for a profit in this case you can make a lot I know becasue I have done it ^-^
I really hate when people come up to my car at an intersection. I would think this isn't the safest method.

No comments:

Post a Comment