Sunday, August 22, 2010

I just baught a home. Should I allow my teenage daughters to paint their own room any color they choose?

Yes...let them have some fun. Use some discretion, however. I know a guy who's teenage son painted his bedroom ceiling flat black and it pretty much ruined it. After repainting it with multiple coats of white, the ceiling never looked the same. It looks gray rather than white, no matter how many coats of white paint he adds.I just baught a home. Should I allow my teenage daughters to paint their own room any color they choose?
Yes you should. A child's room is ';their space';. It need to be a reflection of them, and a haven for them. Don't worry about it matching your decor. Just make sure it has a door that will close ;-)I just baught a home. Should I allow my teenage daughters to paint their own room any color they choose?
no. you should give them a few options that you would be happy with. otherwise, you could end up with some crazy walls that will need to be re-painted as soon as they leave the house.
Certainly, it would do them good. Let them use their own head, they have to live in the room.
I think reason is the key. I helped my (much) younger sister with her room when she was 13.





before you get started, get some paint charts and let them put their ideas forward. Point out that they will have to live with the colour for some years so they need to be really happy with it. Make it clear too that if they want stuff to co-ordinate, the ground rules (my sister then decided that she wanted new curtains, carpets, bedding which became costly).





Also point out that dark colours can be depressing and bright colours aren't very restful. I would supervise the decorating itself very carefully. Gloss paints and teens don't mix well (I have evidence of this all over the flat!) so I would make sure you do any skirting boards, door frames etc yourself.





Ultimately, if it is going to be their home for a while, I think it is nice for them to have some ownership of the project but that they may get bored when their arms start aching!
yes, but within reason...give them some guidelines...they will thank you for it all their lives; anytime parents stop their children from doing something meaningful to the child, it can cause bitterness...got a little off track, didn't I?? but you know what I mean; I had a friend who wanted either a kitten or piano lessons, and her parents said no to both; she always remembered that....but I digress........yes, let' em do it, %26amp; get them good rollers, paint, etc. to do it with.
of course its thier new home too..they will not live with you forever...enjoy and let them too
I would allow them to choose there own colours, even if you don't like them, they have to live with it, you can just closed the door and ignore it, save the arguments, lets them grow up a bit and it doesn't last that long, and what's in a tin of paint???


Happy viewing . ps don't show your visitors eh.
Yes, let them ';personalize'; their rooms. They are the ones who will be spending their time in them and once they move out on their own, you can always repaint the rooms.
Why not??? Life is too short to worry about that. If they want bright purple so what, it's their room. It will give them ownership of their room. when they move out or if you trade houses, you can always repaint, no big deal. If they do go wild with the color when you repaint buy a primer and have the store tint the primer with the same color you want for the finish coat. Good luck
the first anser is absolutly wrong im a teenager my self and we teens deserve right by letting your daughters paint their room there own way your playing a major role a cool dad role and what every teenage girl wants is a coll dad who will give her righs us girls like stuff lik pink puple or we will paint i with stars nothing to major
look, it's only paint. i think if you want them to feel like it's as much their home as it is yours, you should let them paint it what they want. you'll always be able to paint it what you want when they move out!
I quess as long as the color is ok, and there not going to make a huge mess. Watch them and teach them as they go so next time maybe in there own place they will remember what mom tought them, my mom did and she still helps me. Idea, white trim and doors look great, and don't paint the windows closed and do paint the glass its self and use a razor blade to scrape it off the glass, this helps eal the window.
I've been through this recently. I went to lowe's.com. Clicked on the ';projects'; link %26amp; got on the virtual painter. Then I let them paint a sample bedroom different colors til they decided one one they agreed with %26amp; I could live with. There's hundreds of colors on there, they may surprise you. And they'll have fun doing it too. Plus, you'll know what it'll look like before they paint.
Yes, it is very important to give a child freedom to personalize important things in their life. What is more important to a teenager than their room??? Just ask yourself in five, ten, twenty years from now is the color on her walls going to mean anything?
Yes, it is just a color on their walls. I would have them pay for the supplies and let them do it them self. You can always repaint when they move out one day. (If you want to prepare them for life, you can have them pay you $100 deposit when they move out and you have to repaint. Kind of like a rental deposit.)





I would be more worried about the pictures and other junk they hang on their walls as it maybe inappropriate content.





Always remember, you are the parent and you where the one who paid for the house and the bills. You get the final say.

No comments:

Post a Comment