Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Does the social group in teenage years influence your later personality?

When you are in high-school you belong to different groups: the class students, the guys you go around. They make you choose ';that music';, to be a rebel ';in that way';, and so on...


I often think( now that I'm adult) that I'm not very different from those years. Somehow my personality formed a lot in that time and somehow I still have similarities with my old collegues.Does the social group in teenage years influence your later personality?
Hi,you say(now that i'm adult) I assume your a young adult,or maybe just graduated. The social group or groups you chose to hang with in school will influence your later personality,depending on what choices you made in school.


Soon enough you will find that the rebel,might not be so rebelious,you might become more responsible or less responsible,in some way you are going to change,and the influence you feel now will slowly disappear,and thats not a bad thing,you still have your memories,good or bad.


The personality you formed in high-school was for high-school,some of that may stay for life,but as your old collegues move away to start their own lives,or some even die,you will see that what ever your choices are they will influence your personality to change also.


High school is not a place to live,it;s to learn and feel the way you do now.The influence you feel may last along time or may not,but someday you'll be driving by your old school and the kids coming out will look like they belong in grammer school.I hope you someday hear little feet running around your house,that influence should really change your personality for life.Does the social group in teenage years influence your later personality?
I wonder if your personality influences the social group in the teenage years, rather than the other way around.





I stuck with the outcasts and quiet kids because they tended to be quiet, quirky, and silly. They didn't influence me so much as my personality influenced my choices of friends. I was going to be the way I am, with or without them.





Though, I was pegged as the outcast as young as kindergarten, when I was the only moron in class who thought that a pair of shoes meant two shoes, instead of the obvious right answer of a pair being one shoe. I was their favourite victim from then until we moved to a new state in 6th grade. And, I was physically and sexually abused by a babysitter when I was a toddler, causing a near-instant personality shift from bubbly and outgoing, to silent and terrified of leaving home. So, did my personality really influence my teenage friendships, or did the early abuse by babysitters and classmates influence my personality and affect my choice of social group?





Either way, I think that what happens in the early years, before age eight or so, is what influences kids' teenage social choices, and continues to influence their adult lives. I know I'm not very different in personality than I was then, because I am still the same person, just now I have kids, and a car payment.
I think people will always share similarities with their high school group, but hopefully we mature enough to be more open minded as adults. For example, I was one of those token band kids in school, and I happen to be a band teacher now. However, not all of my friends are musicians these days and I find I can have just as much in common with someone I maybe would have never considered talking to back in high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment